Country Profiles - Top 10 Tips
Planning a Bike Tour?
Planning to go on a bike tour but don’t know where to start?
This section has been created to help aspiring bike tourers and bikepackers get started with their adventures. From useful gear, navigation planning, and choosing the right bike, all this information has been put together based on my own personal experiences and those of my guests.
***The links in ORANGE will take you either to a blog post written on the subject or to a Touring Talk Podcast Episode***
- Do I need to have previous biking experience?
- Is bike touring dangerous?
- Are there any countries that should be avoided for bike tourers?
Planning a Cycle Tour
Before You Start
- What travel insurance should I get for bike touring?
- Should I sell or store my belongings?
- What to do with my home, apartment, etc?
- How to train for a long-distance bike touring adventure.
- Planning for visas along the way.
- High-tech vs. low-tech travel?
Choosing a Bike
- What kind of bike should I buy?
- Pros and Cons of Touring on a Folding Bike.
- How do I make sure a bike fits me properly?
- Drivetrain: Rohloff vs. Pinion vs. Derailleur
- Tubeless vs. Clincher tires
- Choosing the correct tire size
- Choosing a groupset.
Choosing Your Equipment
- Choosing a stove to use while bike touring or bikepacking. Touring Talk Episode 001
- Building the best sleep set-up for the job?
- Panniers or bikepacking bags?
- Flat pedals vs clip-ins.
- Choosing a bike seat.
- What kind of handlebars should I put on my bike?
Prior to Departure
On The Road
- Wild camping vs camping: How to choose the best camping location! Touring Talk Episode 002
- How to keep your bike secure and safe.
- Cycling in big cities and being traffic aware.
- SCAMS, SCAMS, and more SCAMS