Wanna Go On A Bike Tour?
Planning to go on a bike tour but don’t know where to start???
Throughout this Touring Advice section of Bike Tour Adventures, I will layout all my experience and that of my podcast interviewees into a comprehensive section that will hopefully help you make heads and tails of all the different things you need to consider.
Follow the sections below to learn more….
***The links in ORANGE will take you either to a blog post written on the subject or to a Touring Talk Podcast Episode***
- Do I need to have previous biking experience?
- Is bike touring dangerous?
- Are there any countries that should be avoided for bike tourers?
Planning a Cycle Tour
- What are the different types of bikes?
- What are the different parts of the bike?
- How to plan a bike tour budget.
Before You Start
- What travel insurance should I get for bike touring?
- Should I sell or store my belongings?
- What to do with my home, apartment, etc?
- How to train for a long-distance bike touring adventure.
- Planning for visas along the way.
- High-tech vs. low-tech travel?
Choosing a Bike
- What kind of bike should I buy?
- How do I make sure a bike fits me properly?
- Drivetrain: Rohloff vs. Pinion vs. Derailleur
- Tubeless vs. Clincher tires
- Choosing the correct tire size
- Choosing a groupset.
Choosing Your Equipment
- Choosing a stove to use while bike touring or bikepacking. Touring Talk Episode 001
- Building the best sleep set-up for the job?
- Panniers or bikepacking bags?
- Flat pedals vs clip-ins.
- Choosing a bike seat.
- What kind of handlebars should I put on my bike?
Prior to Departure
- How to effectively pack your stuff.
- Packing your bike for a flight.
- Choosing your flights and airlines.
On The Road
- Wild camping vs camping: How to choose the best camping location! Touring Talk Episode 002
- How to keep your bike secure and safe.
- Cycling in big cities and being traffic aware.
- SCAMS, SCAMS, and more SCAMS